Bookmas Day Four: Top Four Underrated Books of 2016

Day four of Bookmas has arrived! I had to skip out on yesterday, Top Three Most Anticipated Adaptations of 2017, because I have no idea of any adaptations coming out next year. But I am back today with 4 underrated books!
These books were not published in 2016, but they were all books that I read in 2016 and really enjoyed.

1. Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
This book is a true story written by Bryan Stevenson about cases that he has tried and clients that he has fought for in this own career. The book illustrates Stevenson's experiences in fighting for rights for men wrongly convicted and put on death row for nothing more than their skin color or their mental capacity. It also highlights cases of children who were convicted for petty crimes but convicted for life with no hope of parole. Finally, it highlights mothers that are put in prison and taken from their children, and the problems of the prison systems in America. This is such a powerful book that I think is very important for everyone to read because it brings problems that we do not usually think about to light.

2. WondLa Series by Tony DiTerlizzi
I cannot even tell you in words how much I LOVED this series. I was so upset when it was over because I could read about these characters forever. This story is a children's science fiction novel about Eva Nine, a girl who is forced from her underground sanctuary home and must find her way across this unknown planet. She is befriended by a native creature named Rovender, and the series follows their quest and adventure across the planet, Orbana. I definitely think that I do not hear enough about this series in the blogging world or on booktube, so I wanted to put this out there for more people to read!

3. Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys 
I always hear so many people raving over Ruta Sepetys' books, but I  never hear any praise for this book. This story follows Janie, a teenage girl living in the bad part of New Orleans born to a mother who is a prostitute. Janie should follow in her mother's footsteps and work in the brothel, but she has a love for books and knowledge, and a determination to make it out of the easy and New Orleans. This book is so well written as Ruta's books always are, and I think more people need to read this book especially if they are already a fan of Ruta's work.

4. The Archived by Victoria Schwab
Again this is a case of an author who gets a lot of praise, but I don't hear much about this book. This is one of her older books, so maybe that has something to do with it. However, I still think it is a great book. One of my favorite things about Victoria Schwab's writing is her completely original story lines. The Archived is the first book in a series about another world that houses the bodies of every person that has ever died as well as their stories. In this book, we follow Mackenzie Bishop who is a Keeper, meaning that she prevents Histories from escaping into the real world. When more and more Histories begin to escape the Archive, Mackenzie knows that something is very wrong, and we follow her on her adventure to find the truth of what is happening in the Archive. I really enjoyed this book, I found it to be a very interesting read that always kept me engaged.

I would highly recommend any of the above books to anyone looking for a great book. I think there is a book for everyone in this list. I hope all of you are enjoying your holidays and reading a great book! Tell me what great books you read this year, because I would love to know! Happy reading and Merry Christmas!

Reading Update: 
I have finished One Plus One (my review is going up tomorrow, yay!), and I hope to get started on Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Club Review: The Tattooist of Auschwitz

Fall Wrap Up

My Favorite Books of 2017