Author Interview: Lee Martens


Hi, friends! Today I have a super exciting post- my first author interview! Today we will be talking with Lee Martens, author of Secrets of a Broken Heart, a book of poetry that will be coming out October 26!




Synopsis: If you're a dreamer, there is no doubt you have had your heart broken a few times, whether it was by the people you loved or by your own thoughts. 'Secrets of a Broken Heart' is a poetry collection to carry you through the heartbreak. It tells a story of healing, of how nothing matters more than to just keep dreaming no matter how much it hurts at times.







Let's get into the interview, and learn some more about Lee Martens and her exciting new book!

How would you describe Secrets of a Broken Heart in five words?
It is a learning process.

What was your inspiration for your poems? Were they all based around the same event or did you write them over time?
I wrote them over time. Most of the poems I wrote between the ages of 18 and 22 (I'm 24 now). They were inspired by everything that is life, by growing up, learning how to go through different stages of life and different emotions.

Why did you begin writing poetry?
I don't remember why exactly. I fell in love with language from a young age. English is my second language and throughout high school I've loved learning everything about it. A new language opens up so many possibilities and I love playing around with words. Sometimes that is what poetry is, a play with words, finding creative ways to say things in a new manner, hoping that it'll make things fall into place. It's a way of creating some order in the chaos of life.

If someone only had the chance to read one poem from your book, which poem would it be and why?
The poem that is on the back of the book. It's called Silly Dreamer. Because it is about hope and about allowing yourself all the dreams you have. It's meant to be read with a smile. And it's the overall message of my book: that sometimes things seem crazy, and sometimes they seem out of your control or totally undoable, but all those things are part of you, and just because something seems impossible doesn't mean you have to stop yourself from having hope.

What advice would you give to young writers who may be trying to one day publish their own poetry?
Have fun with it! Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Often the first question writers ask me is: how do I get published? I don't think that should be the main focus. As long as you love your art, everything else will fall into place eventually. This also answers the other question often asked: how do I write poetry well? (or: 'I don't think my writing is good enough'). What I like about poetry is that there are no rules. Write what you want to say, how you want to say it.

Finally, what has been your favorite part of the process of publishing your first book? I’m sure it’s been an exciting adventure!

My favourite part is that I got to work on it with my friends. I've been working together with my publisher Secret Midnight Press for a while now, helping them run their social media and street team, and it's been so exciting to have them publish my book now. Secret Midnight Press is unique in that it is way more than just a publisher. The best word to describe what it is, is 'community'. It's a safe place for everyone to share what's on their mind. Secret Midnight Press hosts an annual poetry and music festival in Columbus, Ohio called The World of Atlas Black, where people from all over the world come together. I was there last Summer and I made so many new friends. In the making of this book, I've worked closely together with the people behind Secret Midnight Press: Jesse Cale, Ashley Dun, Chavilah Bennett (who designed the amazing cover!), Jason Turner and Jay Whitehead. It's been the best experience.







If you'd like a sneak peek of the book, you can read Silly Dreamer, the poem Lee mentioned earlier, right here!

Thank you to Lee Martens for coming onto the blog today! Make sure to pre-order Secrets of a Broken Heart, out October 26! You can pre-order it on Secret Midnight Press's website, here. You can also order it through Amazon UK, here. Finally, if you would like to get to know our awesome author better, here are her social media links!
Thank you for reading! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Club Review: The Tattooist of Auschwitz

Fall Wrap Up

Reading Rush Check In