Summer Wrap Up!


Hello, friends! Here we are at the end of another season, I can't believe that 2019 is already over half way over! This summer I read some awesome books, and I actually read more than I realized!

Here are a few stats:

  • Number of books read: 14 
  • Total pages: 5,554
  • Average rating: 4.07
  • Readathons: 1- The Reading Rush 
  • Physical books: 8
  • Audio books: 3
  • Graphic Novel/Manga: 3 
I had a really awesome time this summer with all my reading, and I'm so glad I had the free time to enjoy all these books! Since this is going to be a bit of a long post, I'll just get into the books that I read! 

1. Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (audio) 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I loved this audiobook, and I so enjoyed this story of growth, love, and coming to terms with who you are. This was such a fun, charming story and it was the perfect book to start the summer with! 

2. The Queen's Rising by Rebecca Ross (physical)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I loved this debut novel! This was a book I got in an Uppercase box last year, and I finally got around to reading it! I loved Brienna and Cartier so much that I went to Barnes and Noble just a few days later to get the second book in this duology!

3. A Thousand Shall Fall by Susi Hansel Mundy (physical)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
This book is actually based on the true story of a Seventh Day Adventist soldier in Germany during WWII and his challenges in keeping his faith. This was such a cool story of how when we are faithful to God, God is always faithful and more gracious to us than we could ever expect. My mom recommended this book to me, and it was just an encouraging read to be faithful to God no matter the circumstances!

4. The Queen's Resistance by Rebecca Ross (physical)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I told you I went to Barnes and Noble very shortly after I finished The Queen's Rising! I loved Brienna and Cartier- their relationship just gives me all the warm fuzzies. I also just love the fact that this is a queendom as well, like yas, girl powerrrr. 

5.With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo (audio)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I LOVE EMONI SANTIAGO! I absolutely loved this story, these characters, and the awesome themes that were explored in this story. I also loved this audiobook because it was narrated by the author which is always really cool. If you would like to read my full thoughts, you can read my review here!

6. Fullmetal Alchemist volumes 4-6 by Hiromu Arakawa (manga) 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
I am really enjoying my first adventure into manga! Fullmetal Alchemist is definitely a really good beginner series in my opinion!

7. Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen (physical) 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I love Sarah Dessen, and I haven't read one of her books in forever! Reading this book felt like coming home, and I loved it. I used to pretty much only read Sarah Dessen in middle school and early high school, so it was so nice to go back to it this summer. This was just the perfect summer book in my opinion- a light, fluffy romance with just enough coming of age drama to even it out :) 

8. Fullmetal Alchemist volumes 7-9 by Hiromu Arakawa (manga) 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I think these are my favorite volumes of FMA so far! We are really starting to get more back story and character depth now in the series, and I am here for it. I need to go get the next bind up soon, so I can continue in this series! 

9. Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan (physical) 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This book was just so much fun to read. I loved all the melodramatics, the ridiculous outfits and scenarios, and all the characters! I loved Rachel and Nick as characters, and I was really rooting for their relationship to make it through all the craziness. I also watched the movie adaptation of this right after I finished the book, and I enjoyed the movie as well!

10. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (physical)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wow, wow, wow. This book was so awesome and so important. I won't lie, some parts of it were hard for me to read and accept, but I loved that Angie Thomas was so honest and unafraid to speak her truth. This was such a thought-provoking novel, but I felt like the hard issues that were addressed were addressed in a kind and loving way. I felt like this book gave me a new perspective that I had previously not heard, and I loved that not only was it an amazing story, it was also a story that grew me as a person. 

11. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (physical)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
This was a book that I have been meaning to read for literal years, so I am so glad that I finally got around to it this summer. I loved the wholesome friendship that this book is centered around, and I love that it was a boy friendship. Unfortunately, I feel like this book got a little too hyped up in my mind, so I didn't love it as much as I was expecting to from the hype. But, it was still a really enjoyable read, and I am glad that I finally read it!

12. Scoot Over and Make Some Room by Heather Avis (audio)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This is another book that was hard to read/listen to at times, but was SO worth it. This book is all about accepting others that are different from you and are not usually included in your day to day. This book challenges the reader to seek out these people that do not easily fit into the molds that society has made for us, and make room for them in your life. It discusses some hard topics like different abilities, privilege, and race, but it is all handled in such an honest, loving way. This book grew me as a person, and I am still thinking about it weeks after I finished it! It is such an amazing book for anyone who wants to learn more about hospitality, how to love on and accept others who are different from yourself, or anyone who just wants to be a force for good in our world. I would highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone!! 

13. Rotherweird by Andew Caldecott (physical) 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
This was a super exciting book to read, as this was my first ever book that I was sent to review!! I feel like I have achieved a new level of blogging or something lol. I did end up enjoying this book as well. It was a super unique world filled with really cool history and a mystery. I liked that I did not guess the mystery because there were just so many different moving parts, and I enjoyed the large cast of characters! If you are interested to know more of my thoughts on it, you can read my review here!

14. Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker and Wendy Xu (graphic novel)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (4.5)
I think this was one of the cutest books I have ever read. This was my first stand alone graphic novel that I have read, and I loved it! I absolutely loved the art style and color palette and of the illustrations, the characters were adorable, and the story was just so cute! I read this in one sitting one night in bed, and it was honestly such an enjoyable, relaxing time. I definitely hope that these authors write more graphic novels in the future, as I loved their style! 


There are all the books I read this summer! I am honestly surprised by all the books that I read because it honestly didn't feel like I read that much! 
As I am looking at this list, I am realizing how terribly behind I am on reviews, so I am going to try and remedy that as soon as I can. I am the world's worst when it comes to actually sitting down to write a full review of a book after I finish it, so I am going to try and do better! As I post reviews for books in this list, I will make sure to link them back here as well! 

Let's Chat! 
I would love to know what you read this summer! Have you read any of these books recently? Did you get a lot of reading done this summer? What was your favorite read of the summer? I think mine would have to be Scoot Over and Make Some Room because that book was just so eye-opening, and I am still thinking about it! I would love to hear your answers to my questions down in the comments! 
Thanks for reading! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Club Review: The Tattooist of Auschwitz

Fall Wrap Up

My Favorite Books of 2017